Follow @chloewanderlust

Saturday 8 November 2014

REVIEW > DETOUR CAFE

It's not easy to find a good coffee in Hamilton it turns out. However, the discovery of Detour was really like finding a hidden gem. A small, independent coffee roasters doing both amazing breakfasts and and lunches, it's the perfect place to get your fix of coffee and cake. On my first visit there I had an amazing grilled 3 cheese sandwich with homemade chili jam and a bowl of potato and kale soup (I was hungry ok). The second trip was a pot of jasmine tea and the yummiest white chocolate and pumpkin loaf I wish I had the recipe for- perfect for autumn! But this morning was the peak of my foodie journey there- a full eggs benedict made with a crumbly chive bisuit, spinach, 2 poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. This was washed down with a frothy cappachino which I am craving again! The menu is vegetarian and vegan friendly and is definitely keeping up to date on all the latest food trends; kale and quinoa everywhere! I've got my eye on a red pepper muffin and the shallot and time mac and cheese for my next lunch date. The cafe is pretty small, but has a community feel to it, it's loud and warm and perfect for coming in out of the -2 degree November cold. Saying this, I've never been inside and got a table instantly, 10-30 min wait every time I've been- which I guess demonstrates the reputation it's given itself! If you're not there to induldge in breakfast or lunch, you can easily pick up a coffee or hot cocoa to go- maybe treat yourself to a sweet potato scone or homemade brownie?

No comments:

Post a Comment